Month One: the first challenges

The first month has proven challenging, as expected.

When I was younger, the first 3-5kg were easy to be shed. Now (I am 43) I noticed that I have to put great effort into half the result. Never mind, it will take longer, but I will get there!

Here is how it went.


1st January 2020  83.3kg

1st week  83.3kg
2nd week  81.9kg
3rd week  82.6kg
4th week  81.4kg

31st January 2020  81.0kg.
Total weight dropped 2.3kg

It seems a steady drop, but it wasn't. If I hadn't done this so publicly, I'd have probably given up already. The path has been full of traps and still will be. So let's analyse each problem.

Week one - on holiday

The first-week main problem was that I was abroad on vacation (specifically Villa di Gargnano, Lake Garda, BS, Italy), and therefore I have just tried to limit the quantities, with very scarce results. In fact, I haven't lost anything at all!
How will I deal with it in February, when we will head to France for a week in the Pyrenees? I will keep you posted.

Week two - Belated Christmas dinners

The second week presented itself with one of my biggest issues: parties, dinners, and meetings. In particular, we had a belated Christmas dinner with some friends we couldn't meet earlier. I have done my best to work on quantity control. I will write a post on that so stay tuned. Despite the lunch, I managed to keep ongoing. Results were not encouraging, but still... I've managed to carry on!

Week three - business trip

The third week was quite challenging indeed. We attended the world's biggest bakery fair Sigep in Italy. Before leaving, I had it all planned and the strategy was... portion control. Well, we can say we tried, but not too hard! Yeah, big fail here, as we overate a big deal. Anyway if you happen to be around Rimini, pay a visit to Bastian Contrario but make sure to book in advance and to go with an empty stomach!

Week four - mum visit

I asked my mum to look after Uly (Editorial Note: Pamela's son). And with mum comes the food, and the restaurants dine out... We went to a delicious Chinese BBQ next to The Pizza Room in Poplar that I thought was Korean, but there we are... We have balanced this with a few days of Slim-Fast.

Week five - lazy steady- the importance of empty cupboards

This is my last week. One issue I had to face this weekend is boredom. I rarely have the time to relax at all, so I am not used to spending time on the sofa watching movies. And I noticed that I couldn't refrain from binging and snacking all day long. Luckily my cupboards are pretty depressing, so I comforted myself with rice crackers instead of Nutella, crisps, and ice-cream. 
I am today 81.4kg and 4 days to go! I will update it on Friday. Wish me luck!

Comments